Cetacean Sanctuary Research CSR – COVID19 strategy
In an effort to slow down the spread the COVID-19, many countries may apply temporary restrictions on travel from other countries. These possible restrictions are subject to a continuous evaluation of the epidemiological situation by countries and they change frequently.
Advice for those travelling to Italy
You can find real-time information for travellers at
Please check also:
- the European Commission Re-open EU web platform which shows real-time information on borders, available means of transport and tourism services in the Member States
- the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19-pandemic
- further details on Covid-19 diagnostic tests in Italian airports and on requested documents: https://www.esteri.it/en/ministero/normativaonline/focus-cittadini-italiani-in-rientro-dall-estero-e-cittadini-stranieri-in-italia/
If showing possible symptoms, you may contact the COVID-19 hotline by dialing +39 1500 for guidance on testing and referral for medical care. In case of emergency in Italy dial 112 or 118.
Measures taken by the Tethys Research Institute – CSR
Please note that all of the measures are subject to change. Measures not listed here may be implemented if this is deemed necessary
In order to be able to participate in the CSR it is necessary to present a negative result of a PCR or antigen test taken within the last 72 hours before arrival aboard.
Any participant not fulfilling this requirement (negative test) will not be allowed to join our team.
In case someone failed to take the Covid-test in the 72 hours prior to boarding, it is possible to take an antigen test (rapid test) in a laboratory in Sanremo, the town where our research boat is moored.
Please be aware that all laboratories require a booking in advance.
Local laboratories close to the Cetacean Sanctuary Research boat mooring performing Covid-test:
FISIOMED – Corso Felice Cavalotti, 22 – 18038 Sanremo, Italy. The reservation can be made by telephone (+39 0184 634450 – +39 366 2777317) or by WhatsApp (+39 366 2777317)
FARMACIA NOLA – Corso Imperatrice 9/11, 18038 Sanremo (IM), Italy. The booking can be made by telephone: +39 0184 578174
FARMACIA SALUS – Via Roma, 103° 18038 Sanremo (IM) (booking not required)
PCR Test: Synlab Il Baluardo – VIA GIOBERTI 39, 18038 Sanremo (The booking can be made by phone: +39 0184 545119 at the cost of 53 Euro.
|Covid Test||Time for results||Cost|
|Antigen test (rapid test)||Within 1 hour||15 EUR|
- The labs and pharmacies below are closed on Sunday.
- Please note: a booking is mandatory; contact the testing centre in advance for an appointment.
- In the Labs somebody among their staff speaks English
Key measures that will be implemented by the CSR
The key measures that have been implemented by the CSR are listed below:
- Only people who have completed and signed this SELF-DECLARATION FORM FOR ACCESS TO THE BOAT will be admitted on board
- Every morning all CSR team members and participants will have their body temperature taken and logged
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizer dispensers will be available in different points of the boat
- The best and most consistent way of preventing the spread of the coronavirus—and reducing risk of contracting it— remains washing your hands with soap and water as a first choice, and avoiding touching your face as much as possible
- Participants are kindly required to bring their own bedsheets and towels (laundry facilities are locally available)
Please be aware that any participant showing possible Covid symptoms during his/her stay on board may be subject to restrictions; rapid (antigen) test will be available on board. Only participants who test positive will have to isolate and disembark at the first convenient harbour. Sanremo and the entire coast bordering the study area offers several hotels or B&B.
The safety of our staff and project participants is our top priority. Our researchers will take the utmost precaution to help participants having a safe, educational and enjoyable experience at the CSR.